Please Read the following... thanks for your donation


Hi, I’m Paul. A lifelong music fan since 1979 when I got my first record player and very first single (Get Down by Gene Chandler). Up until Thursday 18th May 2023, this record plus 8000 others and thousands of CDs, books, keepsakes that I had built up into a treasured collection were destroyed in a critical fire at Access Self-storage in Byfleet, Surrey (UK). Due to having to move from a rented flat in London into a smaller place in Surrey in 2012, I chose this location for convenience with the eventual plan to convert some of these records, CDs and memorabilia into an online business. After 35 years in music retail, I knew I could make it work.

Sadly, that plan has all but been dashed by this awful event. I have lost valuable box-sets and far less valuable dance, disco and reggae singles that were personal favourites, along with my XTC, Factory, 4AD, Crepuscule, Greensleeves, New Order, Magazine, Durutti Column, Talk talk etc etc. It's only stuff. But it was my stuff and it cost a small fortune over the years. The picture doesn't show the true extent of the collection (basically 20 boxes of CDs and 8 full racks of 12" and rack and a half of 7".


During Covid, my father was diagnosed with Alzheimers and I ended up caring for him in Devon as there was no-one to help at that time, until now- he's likely to transfer to a care-home permanently. I have already been fundraising for this disease (and PDSA, Macmillan etc) on other platforms.

The sad irony in all of this? I had plans to move all my collection closer to my current home in Surrey within a few months. Yes, it was insured but not for the absolute top end that I've valued it all at and no amount of money can replace the keepsakes I lost, including the only recording I have of my late mum singing on a 16rpm record she made on Southend Pier. I stupidly left it in the unit with my box-sets (for protection) after moving it up just a few days before the fire. I wish I'd remembered to get it.

If you Google 'Byfleet fire', you'll see the images of the devastation. I'm struggling to look at them, to be honest.

Any help to kickstart my dream again or at least purchase some of what I've got listed on my spreadsheet.

Although my items were insured, there were some irreplaceable expensive pieces that I want to repurchase and hopefully get a business off the ground, hopefully later this year or early 2024.

Although I can never replace what I've lost, I still need your help.

Can you help?

I hate having to ask but until any compensation or claim comes forth, my resources to replace are zero and my mental health is not great at the moment.
 
I am also managing my Dad’s moving process which is also causing stress. He’s got even more stuff than I have!

I certainly won't be using a storage warehouse again! Thanks to those who have offered their time and labour so far.

Thank you kindly in advance. Paul (Flipside Reviews)